Friday, March 07, 2008

Afraid of the Unchurched?

Thom Rainer has written a number of very helpful and encouraging books. One that is impacting my life is "The Unchurched Next Door". In this book Thom categorizes unchurched folks in five categories, U1-U5, depending on their receptivity to things of Christ. They conducted 306 interviews with folks from diverse backgrounds. Here is the breakdown:

Level

Attitude Towards Christianity

Percentage

U5

"Antagonistic"

5%

U4

"Resistant"

21%

U3

"Neutral"

36%

U2

"Friendly"

27%

U1

"Very Friendly"

11%



One key result was that of all the folks interviewed 82% said they would visit church if a friend invited them. Wow! I often see it the other way around, thinking 82% of folks would refuse to be my friend anymore if I invited them to church. Have you ever thought that way? I think we need help!

No comments: