Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Do You Remember Getting Your "Bell Rung" in HS Football?

I remember getting "your bell rung" was a normal part of playing football. One time I popped my Riddell air-filled helmet. Another time I bent my facemask on another guys head during a kickoff. We called the kickoff team the "suicide squad" - for good reason. After I bent my facemask everything turned yellow and this load hum filled my ears - probably a concussion.

I am glad for the heightened awareness of concussions these days. The NFL and our local high schools as well are actively seeking to protect athletes from concussions. Hopefully, getting "your bell rung" will be a thing of the past for all athletes.

Check out these articles here:
Dangerous games: As dozens suffer concussions, awareness of risks grows .
N.F.L. Acknowledges Long-Term Concussion Effects

No comments: